Now that Victoria Park has secured more than £2.2m of National Lottery funding, we have a plan for how to revitalise it as a beautiful, historic community space at the heart of the city. As well as our programme of events and activities (see below), here’s how we see the work progressing:
- plans complete for community hub, nature-inspired play area and restoration of fountain and monuments
- contractors appointed
- designs finalised for panels telling the story of the park
- work starts on community hub
- repairs to aviary and listed monuments
- elements of the original Victorian park design restored
- planting to increase biodiversity
- panels telling the story of the park installed
- volunteers recruited
- building work finished
Throughout building work the park will be accessible. There may be diversions for safety.
Activities and events
30 June, 28 July, 25 August – 10.30am to 12 noon. Free stroll and litter-pick. Find out more about the stories of Victoria Park and share yours. Meet at fountain, 10.30am.
Thursday 30 June to Sunday 3 July – times vary. Part of PortsFest. Immerse yourself in the hidden stories of Portsmouth residents as you take a bike ride around the city. More details at https://portsfest.co.uk/events/detail/rider-spoke.
Summer Tree Stroll
Wednesday 6 July, 10.30am to 12noon. A free walking talk about the park’s trees with Stephen Rees, who planted many of them. Meet at fountain, 10.30am.
Be a friend of the park
The Friends of Victoria Park meet on the last Thursday of the month – 12.15pm for a 12.30pm start. At their catch-ups they find out more about the park and share ideas for activities and events. To become a friend, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 9268 8911.